- Sustainable dev environments in the cloud ()
Is it better to replace powerful developer laptops with cloud dev environments? What is the carbon cost of my software development – builds, tests, deploys, code hosting, dev environments?
- Carbon aware workloads – current status, limitations, and opportunities ()
Why isn’t carbon aware workload scheduling more common? Data center level scheduling is infeasible, so what are the opportunities for developers to implement more granular functionality?
- Paper Notes – Assessing anthropogenic heat flux of public cloud data centers: current and future trends ()
Data centers are not 100% efficient, so they generate waste heat, which causes anthroprogenic heat flux, and can therefore be linked to global warming. But how much? And should we be concerned?
- Dirty data? Carbon footprint of photo storage ()
An example of poor quality research with flawed assumptions designed as click-bait to get news coverage timed to land during COP26. Deleting a few photos will have zero impact on your carbon footprint.
- Paper notes – What will drive computer performance after Moore’s law? ()
What will drive computer performance after Moore’s law? Will programmers need to focus on performance or can ARM chips and the cloud save us?
- How energy efficient is application streaming? ()
As more applications are run through a web browser, even that is beginning to be streamed from the cloud. Is that the best use of our now highly efficient computers? How energy efficient is application streaming?
- Paper notes – Energy-efficient cloud computing technologies and policies for an eco-friendly cloud market ()
My notes on the paper: Montevecchi, F., Hinterholzer, S., Stickler, T. & Hintemann, R. (2020) Energy-efficient cloud computing technologies and policies for an eco-friendly cloud market: final study report.
- Focusing on developers ()
Developers face an onslaught of marketing and an unrelenting velocity of releases to keep up with. This is why we started Console.
- Data centre water consumption ()
An examination of the water consumption of data centres, the measurement of that consumption, a discussion of the lack of data available to assess water efficiency, and where the industry is going in attempts to reduce future consumption.
- My new startup – Console – the best tools for developers ()
What’s next? 1) Console – a free weekly email digest of the best tools for developers; 2) researching sustainable computing at Uptime Institute.