Tag: IT Energy
- Sustainable dev environments in the cloud ()
Is it better to replace powerful developer laptops with cloud dev environments? What is the carbon cost of my software development – builds, tests, deploys, code hosting, dev environments?
- Predictions in energy and computing ()
Is it a good idea to make predictions about future energy consumption? Even mature public businesses typically only issue earnings guidance for the next quarter. Maybe it’s because predicting the future is hard?
- How much energy does cryptocurrency use? ()
Is cryptocurrency / Bitcoin bad for the environment? In 2019 crypto consumed 70-90 TWh of electricity globally, with 60-70 TWh of that from Bitcoin mining. What that means for carbon emissions depends on where the mining happens.
- Carbon aware workloads – current status, limitations, and opportunities ()
Why isn’t carbon aware workload scheduling more common? Data center level scheduling is infeasible, so what are the opportunities for developers to implement more granular functionality?
- Cloud emissions transparency stage 1 completed – what next? ()
Customers should now be asking their suppliers for the carbon footprint of the software services they buy.
- Paper Notes – The overlooked environmental footprint of increasing Internet use ()
The methodology is invalid, which the authors acknowledge but ignore. This means the results of this article aren’t particularly useful.
- Useful calculations – energy vs carbon ()
The ultimate goal is a reduction in emissions, but we can’t analyze improvements without reporting energy per unit of work done.
- Extrapolation of data center energy estimates ()
There are currently only two credible estimates for global data center energy consumption: 196 TWh to 400 TWh for 2020. Why do we see vastly higher reports?
- Paper notes – A systematic review of the costs and impacts of integrating variable renewables into power grids ()
My notes on the paper: Heptonstall, P.J. & Gross, R.J.K. (2021) A systematic review of the costs and impacts of integrating variable renewables into power grids. Nature Energy. 6 (1), 72–83.
- How energy efficient is application streaming? ()
As more applications are run through a web browser, even that is beginning to be streamed from the cloud. Is that the best use of our now highly efficient computers? How energy efficient is application streaming?