- How can data centers use 100% renewable electricity? ()
If we still generate energy from non-renewable sources, how can a data center be 100% renewable? What does 100% renewables and sustainability mean for data centers and the cloud?
- Environmental circular economy and resource efficiency pledges in the UK General Election 2019 ()
Comparing Labour and Conservative party General Election 2019 manifesto pledges on the environmental resource efficiency and the circular economy.
- Assessing the Uses of Contemporary Aerial and Space Borne Sources of Remote Sensing Data ()
Focusing on the era since Landsat-1, this essay will consider the development and application of space borne remote sensing techniques alongside aerial applications. The more recent development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) will also be examined.
- Sustainability doesn’t work without transparency ()
Why can’t environmental impact be like the price mechanism in a properly competitive market?
- Shifting the sustainability focus from the individual to the corporation ()
There is too much focus on the individual when it comes to sustainability and being environmentally friendly. Adopting sustainable behaviours should be encouraged, but it is not where the largest impact can be found today.
- How do you access knowledge without electricity? ()
Nationwide systems failure of the electricity transmission grid is unlikely, but what are the risks? What happens in a black start? Could space weather cause data loss? How do you access knowledge without electricity?
- Investing in environmental adaptation vs solutions to climate change ()
We’re unlikely to be able to keep global warming to 1.5C, so what does this mean for investing in climate change related projects?
- The purpose of a corporation: sustainability ()
Maximising shareholder value already implicitly meant considering sustainability but the recent anti-capitalist sentiment is making that even more explicit. “How sustainable is this?” will become a standard part of corporate decision making.
- What types of cleantech startup get funding? ()
A look at early stage cleantech startups. Does cleantech require venture capital? What cleantech sub-sectors get funding? Where are cleantech companies being founded and funded?
- The data behind $49bn of cleantech investment ()
18 countries have declared a climate emergency covering over 212 million people worldwide. Governments around the world are taking action. Is the private sector responding? How can startups really change the world?