- Data center energy and the importance of efficiency ()
Data center energy usage has only grown by 6% in the last decade. How important have efficiency improvements been for decoupling energy from growth?
- How much energy do data centers use? ()
Data centers are responsible for between 1-1.5% of global electricity usage today but some scenarios project that will grow to 3-13% by 2030. How realistic is this? How efficient are servers and data centers? Will efficiency continue to improve?
- How can data centers use 100% renewable electricity? ()
If we still generate energy from non-renewable sources, how can a data center be 100% renewable? What does 100% renewables and sustainability mean for data centers and the cloud?
- Environmental circular economy and resource efficiency pledges in the UK General Election 2019 ()
Comparing Labour and Conservative party General Election 2019 manifesto pledges on the environmental resource efficiency and the circular economy.
- Assessing the Uses of Contemporary Aerial and Space Borne Sources of Remote Sensing Data ()
Focusing on the era since Landsat-1, this essay will consider the development and application of space borne remote sensing techniques alongside aerial applications. The more recent development of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) will also be examined.
- Sustainability doesn’t work without transparency ()
Why can’t environmental impact be like the price mechanism in a properly competitive market?
- Shifting the sustainability focus from the individual to the corporation ()
There is too much focus on the individual when it comes to sustainability and being environmentally friendly. Adopting sustainable behaviours should be encouraged, but it is not where the largest impact can be found today.
- How do you access knowledge without electricity? ()
Nationwide systems failure of the electricity transmission grid is unlikely, but what are the risks? What happens in a black start? Could space weather cause data loss? How do you access knowledge without electricity?
- Investing in environmental adaptation vs solutions to climate change ()
We’re unlikely to be able to keep global warming to 1.5C, so what does this mean for investing in climate change related projects?
- The purpose of a corporation: sustainability ()
Maximising shareholder value already implicitly meant considering sustainability but the recent anti-capitalist sentiment is making that even more explicit. “How sustainable is this?” will become a standard part of corporate decision making.